St. Paul's Episcopal Church has a rich 150-year history. The current building by Zantzinger, Borie & Medary was completed in 1929 in English perpendicular gothic style with a stone interior, creating a warm and very clear acoustic environement. The ceiling of the church is built like a boat, symbolic of the Ark and the boat of the Fishermen. The altar faces east, and the rose window is located to the west. The intricately carved tympanum, above the entrance is one of the most impressive we’ve seen. The first window east of the side door was dedicated in 1948. It is the Martyr Window dedicated to the memory of the men of the parish who gave their lives in World War II. The ornamental carvings in the altar rail include: grapes (the symbol of the sacrament of Holy Communion), pelican (the symbol of the atonement of Jesus) and the Pomegranate (the symbol of resurrection).
Parking: Please do NOT use TOP OF THE HILL parking lot as owners restrict its use and it is often unavailable to churchgoers. We suggest instead parking alongside the church driveway, and in the small lot behind Dixon House. On street parking is also available.
The SEPTA Chestnut Hill Regional Rail lines (formerly R7 and R8) both terminate in Chestnut Hill about one block from the church. From Chestnut Hill East Station walk across Bethlehem Pike and 1/2 block on Chestnut Hill Avenue to the church on the LEFT. From Chestnut Hill West Station turn left onto Germantown Avenue to the light at Bethlehem Pike. Turn right onto Bethlehem Pike 1/2 block to the church driveway on the LEFT.
The #23 SEPTA bus ends 1/2 block from St. Paul’s. Walk north on Bethlehem Pike to the St. Paul’s driveway on the LEFT. The #23 SEPTA bus runs from Germantown; the #77 from Jenkintown; the #’s 94 and 134 from Ambler and Fort Washington; and the L Bus from Plymouth Meeting – all stop within a block of Saint Paul’s.